Basically, it's a jar of inspirational sayings on colored strips of paper. You draw one out every morning to get a little encouragement before you face the jungle out there. It's daily inspiration in a hurry.
I got the idea for this at the local YMCA where there's a bowl of Bible verses written on colored papers waiting at the door as you exit the building. So, you get to feel good about working out and you get the added benefit of a randomly chosen Bible verse that is always just what you needed at that moment. At least that's how it works for me.
You will need a jar of whatever size you like. I prefer one large enough to stick my hand into. You could also use a fish bowl, a glass bowl, a square glass vase that flower arrangements come in, or whatever you might enjoy pulling paper out of. Don't get too complicated with this.
You will also need some colored paper. I like lots of different colors. You can use colored typing/copier paper, the margins of flyers you found on your door step, envelopes from Birthday cards, note pad paper etc. If you don't like your own handwriting, you can type them up and print them out and then cut them into strips.
Now comes the fun part - you can write anything you want on the papers. Bible verses, famous quotes, words of encouragement, whatever. Anything you think you will appreciate reading in the morning. (or the evening or whenever you feel like drawing out a paper). It's a little bit like a fortune without the fortune cookie. In fact, I've also thrown in a few favorite fortunes which I have kept after dining out on Chinese food.
Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made, We will rejoice and be glad in it.
- Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
- Where there is love, there is life ~ Mahatma Ghandi
- Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. ~ Henry David Thoreau
- Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon
- You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need ~ The Rolling Stones
- Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get ~ Forrest Gump
- Have fun storming the castle ~ The Princess Bride
- Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. ~ Ferris Bueller
- Don't look back, you're not going that way
- Life is about making an impact, not making an income
Notes to self:
- Put on your best earrings today and wear your favorite perfume because you are special
- Remember to listen more than you talk
Random Thoughts of My Own:
- Today is a no-brainer day - don't think too deeply
- Be kind to someone today
- Remember to smile and make eye contact
Literally - you could write anything on these strips - and whenever it looks like the jar is getting low, write out a few new ones.