- Breakroom Rules
- Didn't your Momma teach you anything?
- What is wrong with you people?
It appears that some of us need a refresher course in how to act in the workplace so, here are some basic rules for the breakroom. Why this is not just common sense, I really don't know.
- Items in the Fridge are not up for grabs - Do not take anything out of the refrigerator unless you brought it yourself.
- Items on the counter are up for grabs - If you have leftover cake after a party, put it on the breakroom counter. It will be gone in under an hour.
- If you take the last of the coffee, brew some more - This rule is in effect until 10am. After that, you may take the last of the coffee without starting another pot.
- Clean up after yourself - This should be a no-brainer but it bears repeating. Also, the following details need to be addressed:
- If your food explodes in the microwave, you have to thoroughly clean the inside of the microwave.
- Do not pour the remains of your soup (or whatever) into the sink and just leave it there. Corn, peas, rice or whatever. Wash it down and use the disposal. If there is no disposal - DO NOT DUMP YOUR FOOD IN THE SINK
- Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink.
- Don't leave your stinky leftovers in the refrigerator for weeks on end.
Now we need to talk about pot-lucks. Anytime there is food for everyone, whether it's a potluck, a catered buffet, birthday cake or breakfast tacos - Do not be greedy, do not push your way to the front of the line and do not take more than your fair share of the food.
It is unacceptable to pile your plate high but, worse than that is to pack up any portion of the food to take home to your kids. NO - NOT EVER. Your kids, or family, or dog - they do not work in that office, they do not get cake!!! It isn't fair for you to pack up some of the food when there are co-workers in line behind you patiently waiting for their piece of cake.
If, at the end of the day, there is still food left and nobody else wants it, then and only then may you take some home to the kids.
You are not an animal. You do not have to forage for food. If you want to bring home cake, stop by the HEB on your way home and buy some cake with the money they pay you.
Thank you for your time.