Thursday, March 31, 2016

Katy Dining: Mom's Eats and Sweet Things

Yes, it's been open for a good while now in what used to be Sam's Deli Diner.  When you walk in, not much has changed as far as decor or lay-out but the big change is the food.  It's good now.

Also, Sweet Things is in the far corner offering hand made ice cream in cups, cones and ice cream cakes. This is truly a locally owned and operated restaurant, not a chain.  So, they deserve a visit for that reason alone.

The address is 1251 Pin Oak Road in Katy, at the corner of Pin Oak and Kingsland. The phone number is 281-391-5423.

Cobb Salad


I ordered the Cobb salad, fully expecting the kind of wilted iceberg lettuce you get at some fast food places.  Boy, was I surprised,  The salad was delicious, fresh and crisp with plenty of bleu cheese crumbles, hard-boiled egg, shredded chicken and bacon.  In other words, all the delicious things that make a Cobb salad not quite as healthy as you'd hoped when you said, "I'll just have a salad."  But, it is still a healthier choice than the cheeseburger so...  there's that.  And, if I'm going to be "bad" about what I eat, it's not going to be with a salad.  Bring your own lite ranch because they don't have any lite ranch dressing at Mom's Eats.


Amanda the Plate


My friend, whose name is [redacted], we'll call her Red for short, she ordered something called Amanda the Plate.  Odd name.  It's a grilled chicken breast topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions and provolone cheese served with mashed potatoes and your choice of a veggie.  I have it on good authority that the meal was yummy, satisfying and that the green beans were also firm and fresh.  I guess it's a good sign that she would not let me have a taste.

The question is, who is Amanda?  I did not ask because I'm shy.  I would call and ask but I'm also lazy so, maybe another time.  I know, you're thinking....   Worst Blogger Ever!  If you go there and find out who Amanda is, please leave a note in the comments.  If you have complaints about the lack of follow-up on this blog, please file a formal written complaint, in triplicate,  to the Head of the Dept.  Thank you for your time

Mom's Eats and Sweet Things Interior

Final Note:  Next door to this fine establishment is New Star Nails and Spa, where Red and I got our toenails done just prior to eating at Mom's Eats.  It's a lovely way to spend an afternoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment